Questions and Comments? Please email us at: [email protected]
Researchers claim that if no other food is consumed, hemp seeds could sustain a human life for a long time without causing nutrient deficiency In fact, hemp protein was used in Europe during tuberculosis outbreaks to reverse the wasting away caused by the disease.
A human being needs 21 amino acids to survive: Eight are essential and must be obtained from food; two are conditionally essential and can be synthesized if all the eight essential amino acids are consumed. No other plant or animal source, aside from hemp, contains the first ten amino acids necessary for health. Nor do any of them contain the fatty acid ratio essential for life.
Hemp seeds are not unique among plant seeds in having all the essential amino acids. However, they are unique in that they have them in the correct ratio and they are in the form of globulin edestin at 65% of the protein content and readily available protein and the other 35% of the protein content is albumin which is also readily available. This truly is a unique plant for health.
The globulins contained in hemp seeds are one of the seven classes of 100% pure amino acids. Globulins make up the portion of seed between the embryo and the seed coat and they are a fraction of all animal and human blood. Edestin globulin comes from seed; globulin is in blood plasma. Globulin and albumin are classified as globular proteins. All the enzymes, antibodies, many hormones, hemoglobin, and fibrogin are made from globular proteins. The protein portion of the blood answers the call of tissues in need by providing nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Similarly albumin and globulin provide all the nutrients to the seed embryo until it can begin to provide its own through leaf photosynthesis.
Since globulin is the third most abundant protein in the human body, it is no surprise that it acts as a catalyst for many other processes. It is responsible for the activity of the cells which make up the immune system. These cells are responsible for recognizing and destroying foreign invaders such as toxins, viruses, and dangerous bacteria.
Our body also needs other amino acids in sufficient quantity in order to manufacture other globulin proteins and cells structures. Most foods do not contain sufficient quantities of these essential amino acids nor the right kinds. Additionally, amino acids in many foods, especially animal foods, are not available to the body most of the time.
Since hemp seeds contain 65% globulin edestin and 35% albumin, both in a highly digestible state, it contains a protein panel similar to that of human blood. In addition to the necessary amino acids, it contains the right 3:1 ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that our bodies need to be healthy. Hemp seeds also contain sufficient quantities of zinc, iron, and magnesium, three of the most common metals/minerals implicated in mineral deficiency diseases.